Friday, September 3, 2010

Two Gomers.

A month or so ago, I was searching for podcasts on iTunes that had to do with running a marathon, and I stumbled across one titled "Two Gomers Run a Marathon". At the time, I was still listening to the "Marathon Training Academy" podcast. So, I did not actually get to this one until about 8 hours of running ago. (Yes, I measure time in runs.)


First, let us define the word "gomer" via the Gomers themselves:

There are lots of different definitions of the word “Gomer” out there, ranging from “idiot” to “naive.” When we use it, we tend to fall on the side of naive, describing ourselves as two guys who don’t quite know what they’re doing, but who do it anyway. We’re not stupid (especially when it comes to Star Trek, Apple, music, and time-travel movies), but when it comes to running, we’re definitely gomers!

Here’s another good definition, from the online urban slang dictionary:

A person who does something correctly but in an odd way. Such as swimming, but looking like you’re drowning. Or writing but using all your fingers to grip the pencil. (example: That guy runs like a gomer.)


I would not quite call myself a gomer, but perhaps I will go with gomer-ess, as one of their listeners calls it. Though, that would have been more accurate when I started running in May 2009. Then again, I am sure I look pretty ridiculous when I run round town with my "bat belt".

Gomer 1 and Gomer 2 live in separate states. One is in Arizona. The other is in Florida. Though, I cannot remember which is where... They are good friends and ran a half marathon together previously. They record the podcast over the course of about a week, which adds to the humor.

I am now on episode 9 of the marathon podcast, and I am super pumped about it! Though, I still have a long way to go before it is done. I only listen to it when I run. So, it is going to be a while before I finish it. (Though, I should time it to be done when I run my marathon. Hmmm...) By the way, they ran the marathon, I am assuming, in March 2010.

I even like the podcast so much that I will run for 60 minutes instead of 30 or 40 because I want to finish the episode. They are two very funny guys, mostly because they really are not that funny unless you are a gomer... Haha. They break the podcast up into sections, which I really like. And... They have these really fun theme song type intros for each section.

Plus, they are both Christians!! In fact, one of the them in is in campus ministry. (I was involved in InterVarsity in college, if you did not know. So, I enjoy his little stories.) They also add into little bits about their families and just day to day humor. It really is a fun podcast to listen to on a run!

I encourage you to listen to it for some inspiration or just a good laugh. :)

Way to go Gomers! (I am assuming you did finish the marathon...) Thanks for a GREAT podcast!!

BIG run in the morning. Here's to hoping for some great podcast from weeks 9, 10, 11, and 12! :)


P.S. I hope this qualifies me of the Friends of the Gomers list! :)

1 comment:

  1. I think ER nurses/doctors officially came up with the word GOMER, to describe patients that didnt need to be in the ER. But I am bias!

    (Get Out of My ER)= GOMER

    Jeremiah ;O)

    ReplyDelete

Upcoming Events