Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Steve Prefontaine.

In 1997, a movie titled "Prefontaine" starring Jared Leto and R. Lee Ermey was released. (Yeah, I do not know who those actors are either.) Anyway, the movie was on one of those fancy movie channels, and I recorded it with DVR. (Loving the DVR!!)

Steve Prefontaine was a runner. He was a fast runner with a cocky attitude. He was also a winner.

He started out running the 1 and 2 mile in high school, but his college coach, Bill Bowerman (co-founder of Nike), at Oregon switched him to the 3 mile. He ran in the Munic Olympics of 1972 where he placed 4th in the 3 mile. As you might imagine, he was determined to medal at the 1976 Montreal Olympics.

At one point, Steve held every American record between 2,000 meters and 10,000 meters, a feat that has never been equaled. (per the 1997 movie) I knew "Pre" was a big deal. Though, I did not realize how big of a deal he could have been.

The night, May 30, 1975, he won a very intense 3 mile race in Oregon on his college track, he ran into a brick wall with his car. He was trapped under that car, and his chest was crushed before help arrived. Steve left this world at a very young 24 years of age.

Over his career, he won 120 of the 153 races he ran (78%).

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." -- Steve Prefontaine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Upcoming Events