Hulu.com has the movie "Spirit of the Marathon", which is about the Chicago marathon and marathons in general, online for FREE right now. Here are a few quotes from the movie:
"Sometimes the moments that challenge us the most... define us."
"It's the perfect distance to truly test the human physiology basically because of how much sugar we have in our tanks."
"It is a physical challenge. It is also a mental challenge."
"The marathon... I like to say it's almost like life. Your gonna hit hiccups and rough periods, but it's about how you handle those and come through them."
"When you cross that finish line, no matter how slow and now matter how fast, it will change your life forever."
"I've also had friends ask me, 'Do you think you're gonna win?' And it's kind of like... No, not at all. I'm gonna finish, and I'm really excited."
"The reason that most people run the marathon I believe is that it is a challenge for them. Whether its physical, mental, or both, it's something that helps them in their everyday life."
"People ask me why I run marathons. I run it for the t-shirt! And... And... They say what do you mean? Because that's a very subtle way to say, 'Hey, I did something that most people can't do.'"
"Most people who run a marathon... it changes you somehow. I think it changes us for the positive for sure."
"I never thought I could do it. I'm just not built to run a marathon but in grad school I met Colleeen. She was running with one of her friends, and we started dating. And we both said to each other when we are done with grad school we should run a marathon."
"The marathon could be called 'Every Man's Everest.' Most people who have a moderate level of fitness can teach themselves -- can coach themselves -- to run 26 miles 385 yards."
"The marathon is so honest that you have to prepare for it. The preparation is part of the attraction. You may swear at the preparation sometimes and think, 'I don't want to get up this morning and run 20 miles.' But uh... That's part of the fascination."
"People talk about the runner's high. The only runner's high I've really felt is when I stop running."
"I remember running along side this guy, and I was just yapping the whole way. And he looked at me after about 8... 9 miles, and he says, 'Dick, I'm not trying to be rude', but he says, 'After I'm done talking here, I'm not gonna talk to you again until we get to the finish line.' He says, 'I'd advise you to do the same.'"
"You paid for that course to be open as long as it's going to be open, and the faster you run the less value you're getting for your marathon dollar."
"At some point in the marathon, the distance is greater than the physical human ability to transcend it."
"It is a physical challenge for sure, but it's also a mental challenge. It's fighting through those walls that you don't think you can fight through. That's what the marathon teaches you. It teaches you to keep going."
"People run the marathon to prove that there is still triumph and there is still possibility in their lives."
"You triumph over the adversity. That's what the marathon is all about, and therefore you know there is not anything in life that you can't triumph over after that."
"It provides a good metaphor for life, but a real metaphor that you actually lived. You think, there are so many other things in your life that you look at and you think, you know, there insurmountable. I can't do that. There's no way I'll be able to do that, and all of a sudden you realize what you are able to do. Now, I can say, 'I'm Lori. I run marathons.'"
"Training for the marathon has absolutely changed my life, without question. Not only the physicality of it and what its meant for my outward appearance, my strength, but I think just for what it's done for my spirit. It's almost indescribable. It's just... I did it."
Tuesday, July 20, 2010
Spirit of the Marathon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment