I started reading this article from Runner's World (my favorite magazine, of course) a few days ago and realized I never finished it. I am silly! :)
Why athletes should care about their protein intake... (from Runner's World)
"'Protein is what keeps your body healthy under all that strain.' Adequate protein intake accelerates muscle growth and speeds recovery by helping rebuild muscle fibers stressed during a run. Since protein helps muscles heal faster, runners who consume the right amount are less likely to get injured. The reverse is also true, according to the authors of the ISSN paper: Athletes who get insufficient amounts of protein are at a higher risk of injury.
What's more, high-protein intake has been shown to help maintain a strong immune system. 'After an intense bout of exercise, your immune system is weakened for about four to five hours,' says Richard Kreider, Ph.D., one of the ISSN study's authors and head of the Exercise and Nutrition Laboratory at Baylor University. 'Protein stimulates white blood cells, which helps shield against upper-respiratory problems.' Military research studies show that Marines who ingested high amounts of protein had fewer medical visits than those with lower protein intake."
Anyway, here are some thoughts on my protein intake...
-- As an athlete, I am supposed to eat 90 to 144 grams of protein a day! WOW! I do not eat nearly enough!!!!
-- My protein power + about 10 oz 1% milk is about 35 grams of protein. Uh... I need a lot more then that!
-- Well, I used to, but I have not lately. I have been trying to cut back on the money I spend on groceries lately considering I get a cut in pay for the summer. However, I am thinking chicken breasts are going back on the grocery list! (32 grams protein per 4 oz)
-- Eggs are cheap and can be eaten in a variety of ways. Why do not I buy them more often? Sunny-side. Scrambled. In a burrito. French Toast. Hard-boiled. Deviled. Egg salad. Yeah, why do not I eat them more often?!
-- I carry 400 to 1400 lbs with every footstrike. That is nuts (and has nothing to do with protein intake)!
-- I need to eat more protein-rich vegetables, such as: grains, soybeans, oats, and quinoa.
------------------
SAMPLE DIET FROM RUNNER'S WORLD
A 165-pound runner needs between 75 and 120 grams of protein daily. Spread intake throughout the day, eating some at each meal, to ensure your body has a steady supply.
7 a.m.
3/4 cup oatmeal + two scrambled eggs + six ounces orange juice + cup of coffee with skim milk = 25 grams
10 a.m.
Banana + two tablespoons peanut butter = 8 grams
11 a.m. (prerun)
Half a bottle of protein sports drink (about four grams of protein per serving) + 12 p.m. (postrun) Second half of the sports drink = 8 grams
1 p.m.
Two slices whole-wheat bread, four ounces sliced turkey, one ounce sliced reduced-fat cheese, lettuce, tomato, mustard + six ounces fat-free yogurt = 40 grams
6 p.m.
Mixed-greens salad with peppers, cucumber, and tomato; one tablespoon balsamic vinaigrette dressing + four ounces grilled salmon + 1 1/2 cups steamed broccoli and cauliflower + one medium baked sweet potato = 33 grams
Protein Total=114 grams
-------------
Hey, RW. Can I get a calorie count, please?! :)
Monday, April 26, 2010
Eat More Protein.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment